Thursday, October 2, 2008

mike's pneumonia chronicles #3

Today was the most painful day I have ever experienced in life. The ICU nurse called me a little before 4:00 a.m. and in a nutshell said that my husband may be dying. His O2 was dangerously low, and the anesthesiologist had worked on him for an hour trying to get it higher. They even put a third strong antibiotic on his IV because if a little bit of infection cleared up some airways, it could make a difference.

I went to be with Mike immediately. I called my neighbor across the street (Millie) and she came right over to take me to the hospital. I went next door and banged on the door and was calling on the cell number I had... The neighbor's daughter Janet came right over to watch the kids. I am so thankful and blessed to live next to and across from these wonderful people.

On the way to the hospital I started making a series of difficult phone calls - Mike's parents, My mom, Jackie & Fred, my sister. When I got to the hospital Mike didn't look very good. His oxygen was in the 70s. This is not ok. This is fatal if not fixed. I held his hand, I cried, I told him how much I love him and the kids love him, I told him what a great father he is... and I truly believe that the many prayers and the love he felt helped to bring up his numbers to a safer place today.

His oxygen came up into the 80's and I joked with his nurse that he loved the 80's (especially the music)
and that his grad year was 89. So I kept telling Mike to get it up to 89! He did make it there a few times, but mostly hovered just under that. He scared all of us so gravely this morning, we were so churned up inside. Millie, the neighbor who brought me in stayed with me and comforted me while I was sitting next to my critically ill and suffering husband. She was so calming, so loving- she stroked my back and cared for me.

As family members began to arrive, I asked Millie to go back to my house to get the kids ready for preschool and take them there this morning. She did so... (and a side note... I don't know if Millie picked or if Julia picked, but Julia wore her formal gown from the cruise today! Later she wore it to the park and to have ice cream too!)

Jane O’Shields came and also sat with me and comforted me. She stayed for a long time before she had to leave for work. She also was extremely comforting to me. I love to feel the calmness that comes from people like Jane.

As I said, Tonight I am afraid to sleep... but I took my medicine and I am so groggy already from lack of sleep... but I am worried about Mike.

SO I pray for you right now: "Michael, you are a beloved young father of two children who adore everything about you. You are a loving husband, attentive and kind. You are fun to be around, you are funny, you are so giving and sharing. Michael, with all of this in your life, and all the people who love you, there is so much for you to live for. Your body has the strength in it somewhere... it is so perfectly capable of fighting your infection, healing your wounded lung, oxygenating your blood. Gracious God, let Michael's body to do its work. Allow the antibiotics to clear up the infection that is all through his lungs so that the air he inhales can be delivered to his body. Dear God make it possible for Joey and Julia to grow up knowing their father, not just stories and memories... we do not want to lose our family, dear God. We are at your mercy and humbly beg for you to answer to this prayer with miraculous improvements. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment