Monday, October 6, 2008

mike's pneumonia chronicles #6

I didn't update this yesterday because I was absolutely exhausted. On Sunday my mom was with me in the morning. She was also very overwhelmed with Mike's illness as she loves him very much. In the morning she was better off taking the children to the neighbors’ house (Doug & Millie) who had invited them over for breakfast. David and Hong-Anh agreed to come by to pick up the children and bring them over to spend the day at their house playing with their kids. They had a great day.

Mike, you did not have such a great day. Kym (my doula - my angel) came and picked me up again to take to the hospital. We visited you for quite awhile. Some of the Quakers were planning to come over to the hospital, but it ended up the Calinsky family (Jackie, Freddy & Megan), Connie Noriega (Joey's teacher) and LaTesha Rembert - to be with me. We visited you Mike, sat outside, visited you some more. You had your second round of "ultra filtration" which is partial dialysis. Your numbers were up and down yesterday, not too steady. I had a few really bad panic attacks.

Last night aunt Marilyn arrived again from northern CA to stay with me. Brenda came over to help put Joey and Julia down for bed, and I also had Becky from LLL bring by some banana bread, and Theresa & James stopped by (because they are back in town from a vacation.) It was one person after another! I called the ICU late at night (around 2:30 a.m.) just to ask how you were doing, Mike, and the nurse said you had been struggling a little. They pumped your stomach out through the ng tube which seemed to help... apparently a lot of liquid was just sitting there in your paralyzed stomach not moving along to anywhere, so it was time to rid you of it. Glad it helped!

Today my aunt Marilyn and I took Joey and Julia to preschool. I talked with a mom (Michelle Cohen) who was your friend growing up, and she is making sure that the lunches for them are packed every day. I just leave empty lunch boxes and they get filled by somebody. I also talked to Diane Kwasman who is very supportive, but dealing with their own family crisis too. The people at the school are really great. They are all praying for you.

When I went to see you today the nurse I can't stand (who was so clinical before) turned out to be a dialysis nurse too. Ick. That meant she was sitting in the room with you for 4 hours today.

I spoke to Dr. Shah - he is the pulmonoligist for this week now that Dr. Kumar has rotated to another place (clinic or something) Dr. Shah was not willing to put a time frame on this "difficult period" just said that you are definitely in the midst of the storm and if you can make it through this you can get better. He is so scary, because he is being honest and trying not to give me false hopes. He said that he is "trying" to remain hopeful, and that he has seen people get this sick and then get better... I don't know how many!

I also found out yesterday that you have the same kind of pneumonia bacteria that killed Jim Hensen. (The creator of the muppets.) You have already outlasted him... just keep it up and you can come home sometime soon!

The T-shirt you ordered arrived in the mail today... and so did a Halloween costume you ordered - one for you and one for Joey. I want you to wear them, Mike. Please please please!

I'll write more when I can. I can't guarantee every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment